Austin American Statesman Op-Ed
Harrell: Putting prisoners first
Will Harrell, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, TEXAS ACLU
Saturday, March 17, 2007
A recent proposal by Sen. John Whitmire, a Democrat, and Rep. Jerry Madden, a Republican, to stop our state?s gross overspending and reliance on prisons should lead to finding and funding innovative alternatives to incarceration. Such a proposal is long overdue, considering that Texas has rightfully earned the nickname ?The Lock-?em Up State.? Of the 2.2 million people incarcerated in the United States, one out of five is in a Texas prison. Whitmire and Madden?s proposal is indeed a promising start, but there?s a catch: The proposal won?t solve the Texas prison problem completely because we can?t reduce prison populations without curbing recidivism. click here to read full article
- BECOMING THE PROMISED LAND: Faith, Community and The Prison Re-entry Population – June 12 & 13, 2008 in New York City
- Macky and Julio Interviewed on WBAI
- HRH to broadcast March 29th on WNET13
- U.S. Senate Passes the Second Chance Act of 2007!
- Macky Alston on WBAI- Sat March 22 – 12:10 pm
- Pop Matters Review
- Macky and Julio on NPR’s TELL ME MORE
- HARD ROAD HOME to be released on DVD February 2008!
- HARD ROAD HOME at Oakland’s Grand Lake Theater February 12
- INDEPENDENT LENS/PBS-Feb 26 2008 10pm